9 PEPPERELL ROAD
Basic text is from the DAR History of Hollis Homes, edited by Deborah E. Lovejoy 1953 with accompanying map (Cudworth). Codes used are initials of editors from this book and from 1999-2000 update editors. See bibliography for full information.
The land was originally owned by William Merrill, and used as a pasture. He sold to Reuben Baldwin, who built the house now standing about 1856. Mr. David Worcester from Bangor, but originally from Hollis, lived here and owned the place from 1866 to 1869. Mr. Jefferson Farley then bought it and lived there until his death in 1904, and his wife until her death in 1906. In 1907, it was sold to Mr. William Simonds. Then they grew older, Mr. & Mrs. Simonds went away, and left the farm to their son Erving. The barn burned in December 1932.
Now (1951), under Erving’s management, it is an up-to-date dairy farm known as the “Triple Knoll Farm.”
In 1961, Mr. Simonds now deals in real estate. Mrs. Simonds treasures two stone grist mills, such as were used by the Indians, found on the Verder place, No. 40.