9 & 11 SOUTH MERRIMACK ROAD
South Merrimack Road
Basic text is from the DAR History of Hollis Homes, edited by Deborah E. Lovejoy 1953 with accompanying map (Cudworth). Codes used are initials of editors from this book and from 1999-2000 up date editors. See bibliography for full information.
The former Patch’s Corner schoolhouse was made into a dwelling place.
Ed. Note: This building at the center of an area known as Patch’s Corner was a one-room schoolhouse purchased by E. Lievens and is now used as a Woodmont Orchard employee’s home. (The one-room schools were centralized when the Farley Building at Monument Square was built in 1902.) Some additions have been made in transforming it. The well still being used for the house and adjacent buildings is on the same lot near the intersection with Silver Lake Road with the water rights mentioned in the deeds when Lievens bought the property. This purchase was at the same time as the purchase of the large house across the street which was the Lievens homestead (see DAR 58).
Patch’s Corner: As Bertha Hayden notes: “The locality known as Patch’s Corner received its name from the fact that Captain Joseph Patch owned and carried on a store in the house now owned by Frank W. Wheeler 1820-1838. At that time the house stood on the opposite side of the road. There was a half second story where many levees, dances, and singing schools were held. Further notes: The original building south of the road contained a store with a big hall overhead. The Patch family lived in the ell. In the store, 100 barrels of rum were sold in a year. A team went to Boston for supplies every week sometimes with four or six yoke of oxen. When the temperance movement set in, the sale of liquor dropped. Part of the building was moved to the north side of the road, remodeled and made into the house … occupied by Mr. Lievens. The store was kept for a time in what is now Mr. Lieven’s garage. Later this became a shop. Bertha Hayden’s Uncle David remembered that shoes were made there at one time.”
South Merrimack Road
Lewis Woods site
Basic text is from the DAR History of Hollis Homes, edited by Deborah E. Lovejoy 1953 with accompanying map (Cudworth). Codes used are initials of editors from this book and from 1999-2000 update editors. See bibliography for full information.
South of the schoolhouse which has been made into a house (58A) is the site of an old house. The well is still in use.
Richard Thurston See record of laying out of road from Hollis to Amherst.
Royal Woods (1796-1853) The cooper shop, on the same side of the road but nearer the brook, is standing now but changed and used for other purposes.
Lewis Wheeler taught singing school.
George S. Hull 16th N. H.V. moved to Reeds Ferry
The house was taken down and the cellar hole filled up. Lilacs are still there (B.H. No. 89)
2002 ese Selectmen Richard Walker says that 11 South Merrimack Rd., the “Pie Factory” now a Church, was built on the site of the Lewis Woods Site. The well mentioned above is still used for the Dormitory, 201 Silver Lake Road and 9 South Merrimack Road.
Dormitory near 11 South Merrimack Road