20 ASH STREET
Not in DAR history
History below taken from Where the Past Has Been Preserved 1879-1979 edited by Irene West pp 239, 240.
This one story rectangular building on .08 acres is within 12 feet of Ash Street, Route 130, and the main route east-west through the center of Hollis. It has two garage doors and a passenger door fronting on the street. The roof is metal and the foundation cut granite and fieldstone. It is strictly utilitarian and is supposed to have been a blacksmith shop in its beginning although no chimney is in evidence.
Currently owned and used by a large oil company whose main headquarters is directly across Ash Street it is known as the Storage Shed/Garage or sometimes as “the Old Lorden Office”. Its paint and repair condition is fair to poor and its appearance is exaggerated by the lack of green around it and the many large oil tankers which line the area across from it at the small company headquarters building.
Yet it may be one of the older buildings on the Town’s main commercial street. Only 2 Ash Street and the colonial opposite it to the South are older. 20 Ash appears to have been a part of what was the original Ladd Place dating to the1860s.
According to the history listed above: ‘Charles B. Richardson is supposed to have built the (blacksmith) shop on Ash Street, later known as Ladd’s. He had run the shop on Silver Lake Road previous to the Civil War. He sold to George A. Ladd in the 1890’s. Mr. Ladd taught the trade to his son, Wesley W., who worked with him until George retired. Wesley carried on until horses were replaced by gasoline-powered vehicles and then he converted the shop into a filling station. It is now a warehouse owned by Lorden Oil.’
A photo follows, on p. 240, of G. A. Ladd’s blacksmith, wheelwright, and woodworking shop on Ash Street. More research will be needed to determine whether this is the same building as shown in the contemporary photo or if it shows another part of what is now Ladd Place.